This fresh and creamy beetroot salad is really easy to make and works very well as a starter, main or side dish.
We love beets at Your Fit World as they not only look great in salads because of their beautiful purple colour (we love eating all colours of the rainbow on a daily basis) but also because they contain nitrates which allow for increased blood flow and subsequently deliver more oxygen and nutrients to the working muscles, improving stamina by lowering exercise oxygen requirements – hence a great athlete food!
Shoots, on the other hand, are packed with vitamins A, C and folic acid; good for heart health.
The rich and creamy flavour in this salad comes from the dressing which includes all kinds of nutritious ingredients including goat’s cheese. Compared to cow’s cheese, goat’s cheese contains more D and K vitamins, less lactose and smaller fat globules, making the cheese easier to digest.
Last but not least, this salad contains lots of good quality hidden proteins.
This recipe will make salad for two and will take roughly ten minutes to prepare.
For the salad
- Four large cooked fresh beets (cooked for roughly 20 minutes are bought ready made)
- 75 grams of pea shoots
- 50 grams of goat’s cheese
For the dressing
- 150 grams of Greek yoghurt
- 100 grams of tahini
- One garlic clove
- One lemon
- Cut the beetroot into chunks
- Wash and dry the pea shoots
- Mix the two in a bowl with the goat’s cheese
- In another small bowl, mix the yoghurt with the tahini and squeeze the juice of the lemon into this mixture
- Chop the garlic into very small pieces and add these to the dressing
- Mix the dressing in with the beets, shoots and cheese until it’s evenly distributed
Tip: add raw flax seeds crackers on the side.