While recently in Canada we stumbled upon a small raw and living food bar. The gem of a place is in Collingwood, a small town not far from where we started our 70 km trail hike on the famous Bruce Trail. Coming from a farming background, the team at Pure Food Bar use local ingredients to make everything from green juices to raw truffle spaghetti to raw vegan Caesar salad.
Everything we tasted was exceptional. One of our favorites came at the end of the meal, a raw vegan pumpkin pie served with an incredibly rich and silky coconut cream. It was so good we asked for the recipe and tried it ourselves the next day.
This recipe takes five minutes to prepare once you have pre-soaked the cashew nuts for about an hour. It will make enough cream to serve with a pumpkin pie for eight. It can also be served as a topping to any other kind of treat like these Paleo waffles.
- 250 grams of cashew nuts (soaked one hour for extra creaminess)
- 100 grams of coconut meat
- 100 ml of almond milk or coconut water
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Soak the cashew nuts in a big bowl filled with water for one hour
- Rinse the cashew nuts and add them along with all remaining ingredients into a blender
- Blend the mixture for one minute on high or until very smooth– add more coconut water if needed
- Remove the cream from the blender and serve!