The Tarahumara, an Indian Tribe, known for their long-distance running ability, have used chia seed water as a natural drink to hydrate and fuel for many years.
Chia seeds are packed with antioxidants, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, omega-3 fatty acids and protein, to name a few nutrients. The seeds are also very hydrating due to their ability to absorb ten times their weight in fluid. For more details on the health benefits of chia seeds, click here.
This drink is incredibly refreshing and therefore a great drink at any time of the day, not just during exercise.
- 500ml filtered water
- Two table spoons of chia seeds
- One lime
- Add the chia seeds to the water
- Squeeze the lemon into the water
- Stir with a spoon or shake if in a bottle
- Let the seeds soak for at least five minutes
You can easily prepare larger batches of chia seed water in bottles and keep them in the fridge; it will stay fresh for days.