Always looking forward to go to New York City just to have these kelp noodles at one of our favourite juice bars, we decided it was time to trial this recipe at home. We think we did a pretty good job at copying the recipe and absolutely love these noodles.
Kelp noodles are a great food as they are incredibly nutrient dense and fit in with a low-carb or gluten-free diet. These kelp noodles are made entirely from kelp, a type of seaweed that is packed with vitamins and minerals. Vitamins A,B,C,D,E and K are abundant as well as iodine, potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, silicon, chromium, selenium, barium and iron. Because of its high iodine content, kelp is often used as a thyroid boosting remedy. The thyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in the body, regulating how quickly the body uses energy, making proteins as well as controlling other hormones in the body that regulate growth and rate of function. Iodine deficiency is very common and often seen in people who train at high intensities. All that to say; this recipe is not only delicious but also super nutritious!
This recipe is amazingly simple and quick to prepare as the noodles are eaten raw.
This recipe will make noodles for two and will take roughly ten minutes to prepare.
For the noodles:
- Two bags of kelp noodles
- Four large carrots
- Six green onions
For the dressing:
- 200 grams of almond butter
- The juice of two limes
- Two garlic cloves
- One small white onion
- One red chilli
- One inch of fresh ginger
- One table spoon of raw honey
- One table spoon of tamari
- One table spoon of apple cider vinegar
- One table spoon of sesame oil
- 50ml of filtered water
- Take the noodles out of their packaging, cut them into smaller pieces and wash them thoroughly
- Cut the carrots and green onions into small pieces
- Mix the dried noodles with the carrots and green onions and add to a big bowl
- Cut the garlic, ginger, onion and chilli while also removing the seeds of the chilli
- Add the above ingredients with the remaining ingredients to the food processor or blender until smooth
- Add more water if needed, the dressing should be easy to mix into the noodles
- Mix the dressing in with the noodles ensuring that all noodles are covered in dressing
Tip: add grilled shrimps or any other kind of protein for something extra on the side.