This spinach and blood orange salad will boost your immune system with its high nutritional content.
Blood oranges are full of vitamin c and anthocyanin, an antioxidant that also gives the orange its red pigment. Blood oranges are currently in season in the UK (late winter) and should therefore be available at your local super market.
We all know that Popeye’s consumption of spinach made him incredibly strong. Even though Popeye is a fictional character; the affects of spinach on man’s body are not! Spinach has a high nutrient density; iron, calcium, magnesium, protein, vitamin A, B6, to name a few nutrients. To top it off, spinach also contains antioxidants.
This recipe will take about 10 minutes in total to prepare and will make two portions of salad.
- 200 grams of fresh spinach
- One orange
- One red onion
- Handful of walnuts
- Two table spoons of red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Cut the red onion into small pieces and soak these in the red wine vinegar for roughly five minutes
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and add to a salad bowl
- Cut the orange into bite size pieces and add these with its juice to the salad bowl
- Crush the walnuts and mix these in with the salad
- Add the soaked red onions in and mix in the olive oil and lemon juice